Friday, July 15, 2011

Easy peasy spicy wings

Now, how many of my posts have "spicy" word in them? Not sure, but definitely a lot. And how many with "easy" word? A lot too. Maybe my cooking journey is all about easy and spicy. 
Anyway, if you`ve never cooked anything in your life before, try this one. You`ll impress your guests. But there`s a good chance that you finish the whole batch yourself before you can even invite anyone over. Alright, I`m exaggerating here, but you should try this first to get the truth out.

Put chicken wings in a bowl and get all the spices in your pantry. I`m 30% kidding and 90% serious. I know that doesn`t sound mathematically correct. But you must know that I`m terrible at math. And other than that, that`s how badly I want the wings to be spicy. Real hot and spicy. In the middle of this scorching summer.
The dry ingredients I used were: chili, cayenne pepper, white pepper, ginger, garlic, coriander, cloves, and cardamon, and salt. Go generous with the spices, but control your self with the salt.
The wet ones were: olive oil, chili-infused sesame oil, soy sauce and fish sauce.



Rub the whole spices, oil, and sauces until the wings are well coated. I use my bare hands, but you can always use gloves if you want. Tongs? Well, not as good as our hands, but you should try them out if you`re curious.


Wrap the bowl with a plastic wrap, or transfer the whole content into a storage bag, and keep the wings in the fridge for at least 2 hours. To be honest, I do sometimes bake them right away. Results were not bad at all, but from what I`ve noticed, letting them rest in the fridge for a couple of hours do help give better flavors.


So while the wings were meditating in my fridge, we decided to take a short ride on our beloved Booboo up to the hill in our city and get some fresh(er) air.


It was almost sunset when we got there. And as what I`ve expected, it wasn`t hot at all up there! This is the only picture I`ve got that has trees, but if only you could come with us, you`d see that this place is almost practically an upland forest. And some of our campuses are located here too!


And far down there, standing proudly the concrete kingdom. Sure it has trees, but mostly are buildings. With heat.


And when I started to wonder what people were having for their dinner, I remembered how I missed my chicken wings. Time to go home!


Oh..there you are...all red and sexy. 
Bake them at 200 C for 15 to 20 mins. Hungry!


Alright, all cooked now. They might not look quite attractive now, but let`s dress them up a bit. 


Mix soy sauce and chili-infused sesame oil in a bowl and then lightly coat the roasted wings with the sauce mix. This will make the wings glossy, moist, and more rich in flavor.


You can sprinkle sesame seeds to give an edge and serve it with some vegetables to lessen the guilt like I did. Don`t forget to prepare a box of tissue paper. To clean your fingers when you`re done. And to wipe off your tears because of the chili and the happiness.



Have fun with the spice experiment and enjoy flying with the wings!


Ingredients:
Chicken wings
Chili
Cayenne pepper
White pepper
Garlic
Ginger
Coriander
Cloves
Cardamon
Olive oil
Chili-infused sesame oil
Soy sauce
Fish sauce

Bake at 200 C for 15 to 20 mins

3 comments:

  1. look yummy ^^
    is this in sendai?
    i think i had seen that tree there on sendai castle, next to date statue.. if i not mistake :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. super seksi wingssss! mantebbbb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ajeng: Yes, it is at Sendai castle :)

    ReplyDelete